Thursday, November 4, 2010

Realities of Foster Care

With the impending visit from Lucy's social worker tomorrow, I was prompted to relay one really harsh reality of fostering - APPOINTMENTS. Not once a month, no, not twice a month....but practically every week and sometimes twice a week we have an appointment with someone, simply because Lucy is in foster care. I have become a regular social secretary.

Lucy has had 7 appointments in the last 6 weeks, and has 4 more in the next 2 weeks. I appreciate that the court believes that these kids need multiple advocates to ensure they don't get lost in the system. I appreciate that Lucy is eligible for WIC and I don't have to buy formula. I appreciate that Lucy has health care that is paid for by the state. But all of these state run agencies are required to see my child WAY more often than necessary! Remember the dentist appointment? I still need to call and schedule her one year check up. yay.

2 comments:

  1. I can absolutely feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I came over from Foster2Forver :) Whew, the appointments!!! We got our first foster placement in late August....the first month was absolutely insane with appointments. They are still there, but have definitely slowed...sort of. As in we have two home visits, WIC, and three doctor's appointments in the next two weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete